Preparation Time 20 Mins
Cooking Time 90 Mins
- 1 bunch mint
- 1 bulb garlic
- 2kg leg of lamb
- Maldon sea salt
- Black pepper
- Rapeseed oil
- There are many interpretations for roast leg of lamb, Heston Blumental
- does his with anchovies, Jamie prepares his with rosemary and my favourite is to use fresh mint.
- When cooking any meat it is always best to bring up to room temperature before putting into the oven, so take out of fridge 30minutes before popping into oven. Pre heat the oven at 170deg.
- Using a sharp knife peel the garlic cloves, and trim the mint. Using a knife make incisions into the skin of the leg of lamb. Wrapping a whole clove in mint leaf and pop into the incisions in the leg. I always like to colour my meat in a frying pan so heat some oil (Broighter Gold rapeseed is both local and healthier than vegetable oil, burns higher than olive oil). Season the leg with plenty of salt and pepper and place in hot pan to colour, once all sides coloured add to roasting tray for up to 90 minutes for medium cooking for average size leg of 2kg. Once cooked take out of oven and cover with tinfoil to rest, this is another important point as resting from the oven relaxes the meat . Keep the juices from the roasting pan for the jus.
- To watch a video of Niall cooking this click on the news pages at www.jamesstreetsouth.co.uk/news