2019 schools competition
We are delighted to announce that the 2019 Bank of Ireland Open Farm Weekend Schools’ Competition theme is “Dig In! To life on the farm and in the countryside”. The theme has been chosen to help the Ulster Farmers’ Union promote the “Dig In!” resource as the UFU joined forces with Agri-aware to help Primary School children understand what happens on farms. This year Nursery, Primary and Special Schools are asked to put their creative skills to the test and take part in our exciting competition that Asda have kindly agreed to sponsor, which boasts a total cash prize of £1,440.
This free, educational event aimed at schools and families promotes the ‘Farm to Fork’ message. The message is delivered exclusively to pupils through a FREE interactive on-farm experience on Friday 14 June
Now in its eighth year, Bank of Ireland Open Farm Weekend (BOIOFW) is the perfect partner for the schools competition and the “Dig In!” resource. As part of their prize, each schools competition category winner receives free transport for their class to the nearest participating BOIOFW farm and all competition entries will be on display throughout the weekend.
Closing Date for entries is Friday 5th April.
The competition is split in to four sections:
- Foundation level (Nursery, P1 & P2): “Life on the farm and in the countryside’’ – Decorate a picture of a farmyard animal – Cow, Hen, Horse, Pig & Sheep
- Key Stage 1 (P3 & P4): Create a farmyard mascot including a name or tagline. Stencils are provided or the pupils can design their own mascot – Mascot (blank), Mascot (female) & Mascot (male)
- Key Stage 2 (P5-P7): “Rural scene in Northern Ireland” photography competition.
- Special Schools: Pupils may enter any section of the competition
For Nursery Schools, P1 & P2 and Special Schools: A template is enclosed, this may be photocopied as many times as required.
P3, P4 and Special Schools: Templates are provided however this is open to pupils’ own interpretation and there is no restriction on media used – painting, photography, video and mixed media artworks are all eligible and welcome. Physical entries must be maximum of A3 size. All entries must include the pupils name, year and school.
P5 – P7 and Special Schools: Open to pupils’ interpretation of theme provided and should be in JPEG format or printed 6×4.
Entries are non-returnable. The winning entries will be used by Bank of Ireland Open Farm Weekend and the Ulster Farmers’ Union and copyright will not apply. There is no limit to the number of entries and schools can photocopy the poster as many times as required. Originality and neatness will be taken into consideration during judging. The judges’ decision is final.
- £200 for the winning school in each section plus transport for a class to nearest participating open farm.
- £40 for the winning pupil in each section.
- £100 for the runner-up school in each section plus Bramley apple trees.
- £20 for the runner-up pupil in each section.
If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact:
Lynsay Hawkes at UFU HQ (028) 9037 0222 or email@example.com.
Send Entries to:
BOIOFW Schools Competition
Ulster Farmers’ Union,
475 Antrim Road,
CLOSING DATE Friday 5 April 2019